Monday, June 2, 2008

Week 7 - First impression counts

I'm referred then to the Research Institute of Dallas, a research extension of Endocrine Associates of Dallas, which is a group of physicians that give support and education to diabetic patients.

I exchange a few mails with the nurse coordinating the trial, and from the very first mail I get the impression to communicate with someone that is as concerned as I for the health of the boy, making a genuine compassionate effort to help us out with our problem. A few mails later, letting them know background, diagnosis, etc., I get to go there and interview the director of RIoD. Then again, I'm talking to people, that are going well out of their way to accommodate me and answer each and every question, even the most unkind ones.

True, they are interested in conducting the trial, but every time I've got more and more the impression that: 1) they want to do the trial yes, but 2) they are more than genuinely interested in the patient wellbeing, making plain clear that patient is first, trial is second.

So after a lengthy -uninterrupted- interview with Dr. A., and seeing that all I hear, and the extra information he volunteers to me matches perfectly my independent research (not only in the net but also with other physicians), I make my mind up. I hope more than anything that I'll never regret this decision, but this is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment